AP World Syllabus

 

AP World History

Mr. Vitali

Course Expectations

 

Course Description:

AP World History is designed to be the equivalent of a two-semester introductory college or university world history course. In AP World History students investigate significant events, individuals, developments, and processes in six historical periods from approximately 8000 B.C.E. to the present. Students develop and use the same skills, practices, and methods employed by historians: analyzing primary and secondary sources; making historical comparisons; utilizing reasoning about contextualization, causation, and continuity and change over time; and developing historical arguments. The course provides five themes that students explore throughout the course in order to make connections among historical developments in different times and places: interaction between humans and the environment; development and interaction of cultures; state building, expansion, and conflict; creation, expansion, and interaction of economic systems; and development and transformation of social structures.

 

Key Skills: This year, we will learn about how the world as we know it today developed. This will require us to reach far back into history, and spread our learning wide across many cultures and time periods. Of particular importance will be the concept of CHANGE AND CONTINUITY. This is a key concept in AP World History, studying not only how cultures and civilization changed over time, but also the common threads that hold people or empires together.

 

Course Outline:

  1. Period 1: THE ANCIENT ERA. This will bring us to 600 B.C.E.
  2. Period 2: THE CLASSICAL ERA. This period runs from 600 B.C.E. to 600 C.E.
  3. Period 3: Regional and Interregional Interactions. This period runs from 600 C.E. to 1450 C.E.
  4. Period 4: THE EARLY MODERN ERA. This period runs from 1450 C.E. to 1750 C.E.
  5. Period 5: Industrialization and Global Integration. This period runs from 1750 C.E. to 1900 C.E.
  6. Period 6: 20th and 21st CENTURIES. This period runs from 1900 C.E. –present.

 

Grading:

Homework and practice activities are worth 10% of the student’s grade; the other 90% of the grade will be based on major assessments (quizzes, essays, projects) and will be points-based, with point values varying based on the amount of work involved. The midterm and final exams are each worth 5% of the final grade.

 

Textbook:

Traditions and Encounters: A Global Perspective on the Past

 

 

 

Technology:

Phones will always be put away. Personal learning devices should only be out when directed for class use. Phones will be collected on days of major assessments. Tablet mode will be used for homework checks.

 

 

 

Classroom Guidelines:

 

  1. Respect yourself and others. The classroom is a place where everyone should be comfortable sharing their views and thoughts. We are going to be studying some complicated issues, and a variety of perspectives will further enrich your learning. If you have a question, someone else in class is usually wondering the same thing. Stay positive, and be willing to learn!
  2. When the bell rings students will be in their seats. If you are not to class by the time the bell rings, you are considered tardy.
  3. Typically, there will be an activity for you to do called a “warm-up” when you enter class. Get started on this as soon as you get in the room.
  4. Use appropriate language and behaviors.
  5. Raise your hand to talk. Listen while others are talking. DO NOT shout things out.
  6. I expect your best effort. Have high expectations for yourself.
  7. ALWAYS cite your sources. If you are unsure… CITE IT.

 

 

 

Additional Help:

If you ever have any questions or concerns, or would like help with the class, please contact me. You can email me (vitaliz@region10ct.org) or contact me through Teams. If you would like to meet to talk or to get extra help, I am free every morning before school. I tend to be pretty busy after school, but if you see me in advance we can set up a time to meet that will be convenient for both of us.